The village of Headley (meaning 'clearing in the heath') stands on high ground above a loop of the Southern River Wey. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book as 'Hallege'.

The parish borders on Surrey and comprises a number of hamlets as well as the village itself: these are Standford,Afford, Headley Down, Barford. Wishanger. Sleaford.Trottsford and part of Hollywater.

Watercolour by Wendy Bennett

By the River

Headley Mill still grinds corn using the power of the river on a site where a watermill has stood since Saxon times. Today it is the only one still working, but over the centuries many watermills have operated on the Wey and on its tributary at Barford. The mills were used for different purposes: some grinding corn, others making paper, fulling cloth or smelting iron.

Standford, a hamlet of Headley parish, straddles the river - its stony (or sandy) ford still exists leading to the Green and the Robin Hood pub. A little upstream of the ford is an aqueduct, recently restored by the River Wey Trust, which once took water across the river to feed watermeadows - the site is now a nature reserve open to the public.

Watercolour by Wendy Bennett

The Heart of the Village

At the heart of the parish is All Saints' Church. There has been a Church on the present site since the 12 th century at least, possibly succeeding a Saxon Church of timber, but the nave and chancel were largely reconstructed in the late 1850s. The tower is dated at around 1380, and had a shingled spire until 1836 when it burnt down and was replaced later by the present battlements and pinnacles. The clock on the tower was added in 1900 in memory of the son of Sir Robert Wright.

On a grass triangle outside the Holly Bush pub in the High Street stands a chestnut tree which was planted in 1891 on the site of the old stocks. Around its base is a circular metal seat, and on this are inscribed six of the old ways of spelling Headley.

The High Street and the nearby hamlet of Arford were once the commercial centre of the parish with shops supplying most local needs. Now all in Arford are closed except for The Crown pub, and only three shops remain in the High Street.

Disclaimer: Published by Headley Parish Council and Hampshire County Council, through the Small Grants Scheme. Whilst every care been taken in the preparation of this leaflet, Hampshire County Council is unable to accept any responsibility for accident or loss resulting from following the information within this leaflet

Headley Down

These days the area known as Headley Down, standing on high ground in the direction of Grayshott. forms a second centre to the parish. Once heathland. the Down was developed gradually from the early 1900s onwards -originally as a place for people to build small, country retreats in the healthy air near to Hindhead, known then as the English Switzerland. During the Second World War an Army camp was built by the Canadians on heathland at the top of Beech Hill - after the war the site, now known as Heatherlands. was taken over fay the District Council for housing.

In the 1950s.AlfredWhittle started a general store, butchers and coal merchant business in the old laundry building in Eddey's Lane - later it also became the Headley Down post office. Whittles Stores along with the convenience store and fish & chip shops in Heatherlands and Beech Hill Garage form a useful group of commercial outlets serving this part of the parish.



Watercolour by Wendy Bennett

A copy of the leaflet - Exploring Headley - from which this page is taken is available from the