These entries are for Headley parish as entered in Hampshire Treasures (1982)
ISBN 0-900-908-7-26
Excerpts from To the Ar and Back by Joyce Stevens (written 1992) added where appropriate
See also entries in the Glossary for Headley
Note: items below are in sequence as published in Hampshire Treasures [said to be approximately in order of age, but this is not strictly so]
- Tree: High Street. Chestnut, planted 1891 to mark the site of the stocks. [Ref 88]
[From To the Ar and Back] Planted in September 1891 on the site of the stocks by the Rector, Mr Laverty, the butcher, Mr Wakeford, and the landlord of the Holly Bush, Mr J.Kenyon, an "old soldier who could tell a good tale". A Pink Chestnut, provided by Peter Ellis, was planted in November 1991 by the Rector and his family outside the Church Centre, to celebrate the Centenary of the tree on the triangle in the High Street. - Fossil Beds: Headley Farm Pit, south west of Headley Wood Farm. The best known section of fossiliferous Puttenham Beds. SU 814 373
[Ref 103] Designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) - Occupation and Flint Working Sites: Group of Mesolithic sites at Trottsford, Sleaford. Finds include narrow-blade cores, microliths, end-scrapers, etc. Heathland now overgrown and farmland under cultivation. SU 806 380
[Ref 43] On plateau about 366 ft. Flakes first observed 1926 and site located in deep deposit of sand. 200 finds altogether, comprising narrow blade cores, microliths, endscrapers, etc. Area ploughed for first time in 1948; three chipping floors revealed, from which flints have been taken; all in 'mint condition'. Some of the site is part of Broxhead Common, but in spite of appeals to the County Council (Dec 1972) and a personal visit by Mr Victor Emery and his wife (Aug 1973), the Amey Roadstone Corporation was allowed to extend the existing sandpit up to the drive leading to Trottsford Farm. NB: If this site extends across the road southwards on to Broxhead Common, all is not lost. Literature: 1) Hampshire Field Club (HFC) Proc. Vol 18 1951-3; 2) W. Woodhouse 5.5.56 - Implement: Palstave found in garden near Beech Hill Social Club. Bronze with well-defined stop ridge. Now in Haslemere Museum. SU 837 364
[Ref 93] Mid Bronze age implement. Donated by Arthur Stenning in 1940. - Bowl Barrow: Broxhead Common. Situated on small hill. Damaged by ploughing before being put over to pasture. SU 807 381
[Ref 42] Some 2ft of the top of the barrow has been eroded off (quoted from letter to Mrs P Barnard, former owner, from Miss SM Bell, DoE, 8th March 1974 - Ref AA60807/1) Literature: 1) OS 6" 1910; 2) HFC Proc. Vol 14 1938-40 page 352 Hampshire Barrows (LV Grinsell); 3) FG Aldsworth 4.3.63 - Stone bowl: Picketts Hill Farm. Old bowl, possibly for grinding corn, used for many years as feeding trough for chickens. Reputed to be of Saxon date. Formerly at Trottsford farm.
[Ref 67] An antiquarian noticed it and recognised it. - Old Travelway: Cradle Lane. Bridleway going north from rear gate of Headley Park and across the river. One of eleven bridleways and thirty-eight footpaths in the parish. SU 813 382 – 816 389
[Ref 102] Mr Laverty, rector 1872–1928, said that the name was given because the gypsies used a copse along it for their winter quarters, and the women gave birth to their babies in the Spring before setting out on their Summer travelling. Before the A325 was made from Alice Holt to Bordon (c1828), this was the road from Farnham to Headley. - Church C14: All Saints. Rebuilt 1859. Stone structure with C14 Perpendicular tower. Wide-spanned and massive timbered roof, dating from C14. Fine C14 window with elaborate super-tracery in west wall and C13 lancet incorporated in south wall of chancel. SU 821 362 – Literature: 1) Headley, the Story of a Hampshire Parish 1066–1966, by Canon Tudor Jones, rector of Headley 1934–1965; 2) Victoria County History (VCH) Vol 3 1908 page 54 – see also Description written in 1935
[Ref 1] Rebuilt in 1859 with the exception of the Perpendicular tower dating from 1380. In NE window of chancel is a panel of painted glass dating from about 1260, a relic of mediaeval art. Other ancient features are: a C13 lancet in S wall of chancel, a 2-light window in S wall of nave, and a fine 3-light window with elaborate super-tracery in W wall of the same date. Most important feature is the magnificent roof–dates from the last quarter of C14–great width (26 ft) quite exceptional in a Parish Church. Tie-beams, king posts and wall plates all heavily moulded–braced rafter and collar construction very massive. Shaped by adze. Recent theory supplied by Mrs Manning and Miss Ware of Farnham, Surrey, is that the roof may have been worked by Hugh Hereland, a protégé of the Bishop of Winchester, who worked Westminster Hall roof in Farnham. Headley's roof is contemporary, though probably a little older since Westminster's is earliest form of hammer-beam whereas in Headley Church a tie-beam goes straight across from wall to wall. A very old belief is that this roof came from a barn or other ancient building to replace the roof destroyed by the fire of 1836.
[From To the Ar and Back] After a fire in 1836, which destroyed the spire and gallery, the building was very much altered and so, in many ways, became essentially Victorian in character. However, treasures of past centuries remain: a stained-glass window of 1260 in the north wall of the Sanctuary; the 14th century tower, and fine heavily timbered roof; two brasses of 1510; and some good 18th century wall monuments. But the Church merits a separate visit, quite apart from this guided tour of the village, and a more detailed description will be found on the book table inside. The clock was given by Sir Robert Wright of Headley Park in memory of his son, Evan Stanley, who died in 1900 at the age of six. The initials of parents and child and the date are in the four corners. There is a Bench Mark cut in the south-east buttress low down; this is a surveyor's sign of an arrow and a number, showing the height above sea level – 314ft in this case. - Farmhouse C16: Picketts Hill Farm. Brick structure, restored and modernised. Elizabethan kitchen. 2 storeys, tiled roof. Fine stone wall surrounding the garden. Old wooden hop shovel found during alterations.
[Ref 68] It was the Home Farm for Headley Park estate. Shovel found in a sack marked 1815. - Cottage C16: Appletree Cottage. 2 storeys. Roughly coursed ironstone with red brick dressings. Ridge tiled roof. Square lattice windows. Two simple cottage doors. Originally three cottages. Dated 1590.
[Ref 9] Dated 1590 over door to right. Original windows all replaced with metal leaded casements; 3 upper windows to right slightly breaking through the line of the eaves; ridge tiled roof hipped to left (and planned extension will add hipped roof to right to balance); 2 simple cottage doors, that to left having gabled boarded porch, that to right a flat hood on brackets; square chimneys at each end.
[From To the Ar and Back] Just off the High Street, a hundred yards down the lane but still in the Conservation Area, is another sixteenth century timber-framed building. It also, in the first half of this century, was home to three families. Successive owners have lovingly restored and improved it, the most recent addition being an integral garage with bedroom above under a full gabled roof. There is a wide-spread oral tradition that houses like these were constructed of "ship's timbers". Historians explain that this does not always mean timbers from ships that have been broken up, but wood from forests that were planted to provide timber for ships when needed. Evidently the surplus was used for houses. The Alice Holt only four miles away was one such forest. Certainly the timber in this house and nearby Suters is not re-used wood, but was cut specifically for the purpose. - Farmhouse C16: Tulls, formerly Chase Farm, Tulls Lane, Standford. 2 storeys. Small coursed stone blocks. Ridge tiled roof. Plain wood casements. Tile-hung gable towards road. Formerly two cottages.
[Ref 39] Casements on ground floor under segmented lintels; ridge tiled roof hipped to left, half-hipped to right. Simple boarded door and gabled porch. Stands at right angles with tile-hung gable towards road. Stone dates building as 1767, but structure probably C16 - date refers to joining of cottages into one dwelling. (Granary 3 metres north of Tulls is also in Joyce Stevens' list of Listed Buildings) - Farmhouse & Cottage C16: Bayfields Farm, Frensham Lane. 2 storeys. Stone structure. Tiled roof. Beams made from ships timbers. Until 1968 water was pumped from well under lounge floor. Former oast house (with some wattle and daub walls) converted into gardener's cottage.
[Ref 82] Main part built 450 years ago (written 1975). Once the main farmhouse in the area. The sound of the water pump (until 1968) was said to resemble a heart beat. - Cottage C16: Overton Cottage, Arford. 2 storeys. Timber-framed with brick infilling. Thatched roof. 3 dormer windows. Interior walls of wattle and daub. Bread oven and inglenook.
[Ref 59] Long, low irregular cottage, part dating from 1580. Stack in centre. Weather boarding at north end. Wooden casement windows on ground floor. Floors of flagstones on soil. When a wooden-barred window was reclaimed, fragments of sacking used in place of glass were still attached.
[From To the Ar and Back] Up the lane behind The Crown is one of the very few thatched cottages in the parish. It is a timber-framed building of the sixteenth century, the south gable hung with fish-scale tiles and the chimney in the centre. Some years ago when a wooden-barred window was uncovered, sacking instead of glass was found. There is galleting, and weather-boarding at the north end. It is named from the family who lived there at the beginning of the century, the last of whom, an elderly widow, took snuff which left brown stains on her white apron. Mrs Overton died in 1921. - Farmhouse & Barn C16/17: Hatch House Farm, Headley Road, Lindford. Restored and enlarged. 2 storeys. Timber-framed with coursed and random stone infilling. Old half-hipped tiled roof. Modern lattice casements and French windows. Large stone barn converted into dwelling.
[Ref 33] Barn adjoining house at right-angles is converted into a hall with a gallery at one end. Original farmyard is laid out as a terraced garden. - Farmhouse C16/17: Huntingford Cottage, Smithy Lane. 2 storeys. Partly exposed timber-framing. High-pitched tiled roof. Plain wood casements. Short projecting gabled wing. Small gabled porch.
[Ref 3] Square timber framing partly exposed in front and at side. The random stone plinth is buttressed at corner to left. One of the farm buildings is used as a forge by Mr EJ Collins (1975). There has been a blacksmith there for well over 60 years to my personal knowledge.
[Not to be confused with Huntingford Farm (Ref 19) which is nearer Linsted] - Cottage C17: Riverside, Standford. 2 storeys. Coursed stone walls. Tiled roof. Half-hipped gables. Front facade probably of later date, with two bay windows and two casements. Reputed to be formerly the Red Lion inn.
[Ref 60] L-shaped. Central chimney stack. Pentice at back. Half-hipped gables. Tile-hanging in unusual pattern for this village. Coursed stone walls–ragstone quarried nearby at the back of Tulls. Front of house quite different from the rest–appears to be a façade added at a much later date, with 2 bay windows and 2 casements with pediments breaking the roof. Mr John Warren told me that this was formerly the Red Lion Inn, which stood directly opposite the Robin Hood and Little John, now pulled down. - Barn C17: Riverside, Standford. Coursed stone structure. Ridge tiled roof. Square wooden window frames. Remains of thatch visible under tiles. Once a wheelwright's workshop – thick stone walls at gate are all that remains of smithy.
[Ref 60] Inside under the tiles appears to be the remains of thatch. Wooden ends. - Cottage C17: Rooks Cottage, Churt Road. 2 storeys. Stone structure. Tiled roof. Wood-framed diamond-paned casements. Long pentice roof at rear.
[Ref 84] Very attractive well-kept cottage. Copious galletting. Date 1620 over door. - Cottage C17: Barford Stream Cottage, Churt Road. 2 storeys. Timber-framed with limewashed brick and plaster infilling. Ridge tiled roof. Square paned sliding casements. Tile-hung side gable.
[Ref 6] 3 storeys. Side gable towards road is tile-hung on first floor. Modern lean-to addition at far end. - Farmhouse & Oast Barn C17/18: Weyhouse, Headley Mill. 2 storeys. Coursed and random stone on ground floor, tile hung above. Tiled roof. Square-paned wooden casements. Modern gabled additions. Oast Barn to south.
[Ref 35] Restored and enlarged farmhouse. Short ridge to left, half-hipped gable to right. Galletting in mortar between stones.
[Notes from owner in 1994] c1400 original open hall; c1500 smoke bay, first floor inserted; c1600 parlour and bedroom above, east wall of old house brought forward, ridge realigned north-south following fire, first brick chimney; c1650 kitchen, hall, bedroom and attic, stone cladding to exterior, first metal windows; c1700 kitchen lean-to, outshot shed on north side; c1800 north outshot demolished, two storey building added, extensive interior remodelling, first ovolo moulded timber windows; c1900 service rooms and accommodation added to north, entrance moved to east, part tile-hung outside, present kitchen and galleried landing created, further remodelling. - Farmhouse C17/18: Curtis Farm. Restored. 2 storeys. Coursed stone structure with galletting decoration. Steep hipped tiled roof. Gabled projecting wing to right, rendered and probably modern. Casement windows.
[Ref 16] Plain coupled ridgestack in centre of roof. Stone-walled garden in front. Historical note: Said to be the home of Henry Fauntleroy, the banker who was hanged in 1824 for forgery–two Headley farmers went up to his execution. - House C18: The [Old] Rectory. 3 storeys. Stone structure. Steep hipped slate roof. Panelled parapet and narrow cornice band. Sash windows and three pedimented dormers. Side facade of coursed ironstone with brick dressings.
[Ref 2] Sash windows in moulded exposed frames. Centre half-glazed double doors with rectangular fanlight and Gothic tracery. The C19 cement rendering of the front removed about 1969 exposing the original stone. Interior modernised with central heating in 1966, when extra wing (built by Rev J Ballantyne-Dykes in mid C19) was removed. Note: Initials and date (S.W.M. 1680) over door of what used to be stables–now the kitchen of the Tithe Barn next door–are thought to be William and Mary Sympson (he was rector 1673–1695).
[From To the Ar and Back] An early 18th century building with a slate roof and end walls mainly of iron-stone. There is an old leaded casement in the attic gable at the north end, an old hopper-head at the north-east corner, and a Gothic fanlight over the French doors. It ceased being the home of our Rector in 1986, when the Guildford Diocesan Parsonages Board sold it on the grounds that it was too expensive to maintain and heat, and that a house of this style was unsuitable for a modern clergyman, separating him from his parishioners. In view of its age and importance it is surprising that we know little of its history, but a valuation of 1783 describes it as follows: "A very good house, consisting of two parlours and hall, a kitchen and pantry on the ground floor; four bed-chambers, six garrets, four underground cellars, with a brew-house, milk-house, and other convenient offices; also of two spacious barns, a stable, cow-pens, granary, waggon-house, fuel-house, ash-house, etc. The gardens, yard and rick-yard amount to about one and three-quarter acres". - Building C18: Wakefords, High Street. Formerly the Holly Bush Inn. 2 storeys. Cream-washed brick walls. Hipped tiled roof. Sash windows. Ground floor shop windows under flat arched brick lintels.
[Ref 8] When the Holly Bush Inn, was mentioned by William Cobbett in his 'Rural Rides'. C18 red brick with blue headers now (1975) cream washed. Square in plan. Centre upstairs window facing north bricked up [apparently was always a dummy, not as result of window tax–JOS]
[From To the Ar and Back] As with most old houses, this one has had a varied history. It was the original Holly Bush, and also butcher Slade's shop from the early nineteenth century. Mr Wakeford took over as butcher in 1879, and his successors kept the name for business convenience. The end of the wooden beam on which the Holly Bush sign hung is still visible on the north-east corner of the building. It was this place that William Cobbett described in 1822 on one of his Rural Rides from Greatham to Thursley:– "We got to Headley, the sign of the Holly Bush, just at dusk, and just as it began to rain. There was a room full of fellows in white smock frocks, drinking and smoking and talking. I had neither eaten nor drunk since eight o'clock in the morning; and as it was a nice little public house, I at first intended to stay all night, an intention which I afterwards very indiscreetly gave up." For some years now it has been a private house, and the present owners (1992) are delving into its history, which goes back a long way further than this. - House C18: Headley Grange. Built 1795. 3 storeys. Stone structure. Tiled roof. Sash windows. One large bay with tiled pediment. Five pedimented dormers with decorative fascia boards. Long low wing [to south] and other adjoining additions.
[Ref 57] Three chimney stacks, two of them at ends of main building. This house was built by the combined parishes of Headley, Bramshott and Kingsley as a Union Workhouse, and was attacked in 1830 by a gang of desperate labourers led by Robert Holdaway, a wheelwright. The house ceased to be a workhouse and was sold to private owners in 1870.
[Historical note] The house was used as a recording studio in the early 1970s. Among tracks created here was 'Stairway to Heaven' by Led Zeppelin (1971). - House C18: The Old Bakery, Arford. 2 storeys with single storey extension. Rendered walls. Hipped tiled roof. Modern wooden casement windows. Boarded door.
[Ref 14] Single storey extension once used as the shop.
[From To the Ar and Back] Originally the Post Office, it was run as a bakery by Robert Tidey, and Josie Fisher remembers her grandfather, in his tall white hat and apron, leaning over a huge wooden trough and kneading the dough with his hands. It was left to prove overnight and then baked in the big oven in the wall, long before most people were up. Every year Mr Tidey baked a harvest loaf in the form of a sheaf and presented it to the Church. Mr Amey followed him as the village baker, but thirty years ago the building became a private house and was very much altered, with metal-framed windows, cement rendering, and modern roof tiles. A face-lift, in effect, concealing its genuine age. - Cottage C18: Crown Cottage, Arford. 2 storeys. Stone structure. Ridge tiled roof. Boarded door.
[Ref 62] Very much same style as Wakeford's in the High Street, eg. arrangement of brick pattern under the eaves. Bricked-up window also. Lower windows have flat arched lintels. I cannot trace the reason for the little recess near the bricked-up window.
[From To the Ar and Back] The recent (1992) incorporation of the cottage into the premises of the Crown Inn has been most successful, and the interesting nooks and crannies add to the charm of this typical country pub. - House C18: Stores House, Arford. 2 storeys. Roughcast. Hipped tiled roof with moulded eaves. Pentice addition to left. Formerly a general store.
[Ref 13] Previously a general shop called Bellingers - now private dwelling. 2 casements with modern square addition with flat roof extending at rear. Centre door has panelled reveals and hood on brackets. Sign attached to tree in front–Royal Daylight Light Company–probably dates from about 1890.
[From To the Ar and Back] The building is eighteenth century, and inside there is exposed the timber framing of an even earlier dwelling. It has had a long history as a general village shop. In 1889 two young men, Amoore and Budd, rented it from Mr Fuggle as a grocer's, baker's and pork butcher's. Sadly the partnership was dissolved, and within two years the business was bankrupt owing to the failure of the hop crop. The remaining young man, compassionately though foolishly, "allowed credit to persons in a humble station of life" (a cowman, for example, ran up a bill for £18), while he himself was in debt to his wholesalers. A man called Kellick took over the shop, and in 1905 Bonham and Turner ran a barber's and newsagent's at one end of the premises. Then in 1913 began the long reign of the Bellinger family at the Arford Up to Date Stores, a title which caused much merriment among the Canadians stationed here during World War II. It became a typical village store, selling "anything from dolls' eyes to railway arches", as the old saying goes. On the right was the cold room for meat, bacon and dairy produce; groceries were in the main part of the shop; drapery, hardware, paraffin and various other household goods were on the left where the garage is now. There is still a sign on the tree to the right advertising the Royal Daylight Oil Company, and probably dating from about 1890. Archie Bellinger had a fine tenor voice and with his friend George Bohanna, bass, sang in the church choir for many years, and also at concerts in the Village Hall. George was a coal merchant, and his wife Blanche ran a little front-room shop in the house opposite The Wheatsheaf, at the far end of Arford Road. Mrs Bellinger gave up the shop in 1958, and after two further proprietors it ceased trading and became a private house in the seventies. One member of the Bellinger family, Arthur, still lives in the village (1992). This corner of Arford was the scene of a tragedy that Mr W. Passingham still remembers vividly, although it happened over seventy years ago, when he was a small boy. A man, whose wife had left him and had come to live in Headley, tracked her down, and was seen arguing with her in the road outside Lickfold's. Suddenly, he produced a gun; she screamed and fled for safety up the path of the Corner House, but he shot her, and she staggered across the road into the drapery department of the Stores, where she collapsed and died. To this day Mr Passingham remembers what a big man he was, and that he had a green bicycle, with a double cross-bar for extra strength. - House C18: Bohannas, Arford. Large cellar built into hillside at ground level. 2 storeys. Colourwashed white brick, plinth and band. Ridge tiled roof. Lattice casement windows. Large cellar built into hillside at ground level. Formerly an inn.
[Ref 11] Former public house, then general shop, now a private house. Previously called 'Brookfield'. Three modern lattice casements, centre panelled door with red brick lintel. L-shaped with part pentice to rear. Recent small square groundfloor addition at rear. Also modern stables addition (now garage, at left). Room over stables at one time used for early Parish meetings–and Quaker Meeting room. - Farmhouse C18: Tignals, Saunders Green, Frensham Lane. 2 storeys. Limewashed brick walls. Ridge tiled roof, half-hipped to right. Triple casement windows, those on ground floor with boarded shutters.
[Ref 30] Called Holl Holt c1700. Centre half-glazed door in moulded frame with flat hood on brackets.
[Ref 31] Tignals Barn. Small weather-boarded barn with short half-hipped ridge tiled roof. - Mill C18/19: Headley Mill. 3 storeys. Coursed stone blocks and some brickwork. Three small gabled dormers, plain metal casements and loft entrances. Mill powered by steel breast-shot water wheel from a head of 7.5 ft. The wheel drives four pairs of millstones measuring 4 ft in diameter through cast iron gears. Believed to be the only water mill still in active use in Hampshire.
[Ref 34] A long range of late C18 and early C19 date, including the cottages to right. Reference: Mr FW Simmonds of Rowledge, near Farnham, quoted in Canon Tudor-Jones' booklet. - Cottage C18/19: Adjoining Headley Mill. 2 storeys. Random stone walls. Half-hipped ridge tiled roof, with pentice to rear. Sash windows. Formerly two cottages. [Ref 34]
- House C18/19: Yeomans Place, formerly Crabtree. 2 storeys. Roughly coursed ironstone. Half-hipped ridge tiled roof. Victorian gabled brick porch. Adjoining mock-Tudor house, vertical mock timber-framing with plaster infilling. Built 1880. Now two dwellings.
[Ref 10] Part to right is C18 and built of roughly-coursed ironstone. 3 sash windows. Centre Victorian gabled brick porch. Built around a central chimney, a method not used after about 1650. Queen Anne windows early C18. Sign of 3 staircases. The adjoining mock-Tudor house was added in 1880.
[From To the Ar and Back] Formerly one large house, known as Crabtree, with extensive grounds stretching round the corner and along the Liphook Road. The older part is eighteenth century, with brick eaves, Queen Anne windows, and a gabled Victorian brick porch. Inside, the central chimney breast which is characteristic of a timber-framed lobby-entrance house, a style of building not used after about 1650, suggests a much older origin. There are signs of three staircases. The taller house attached to the south, and not listed, was built in mock Tudor style in 1880 by Mr Samuel Bewsher, Bursar of St. Paul's School in London. It is said that this wing was for boys whose parents were abroad, and no windows were put in the west wall so that they could not overlook his garden. - House C19: The Corner House, Arford. 2 storeys. White plaster walls, part to left painted weatherboarding. Ridge slate roof. Sash windows. Trellis porch. Now divided into flats.
[Ref 12] Early C19 house, formerly Collins, the builders. Now (1975) two flats. Projecting weatherboarded builder's shop to left.
[From To the Ar and Back] An eighteenth and early nineteenth century house, with a slate roof and an interesting porch, the design often used by a local builder. The wooden buildings on the left, just before the T-Junction, have been part of a builder's yard for at least a hundred years. At one time they were owned by Mr Henry Knight (1805–1903) who, as a boy of ten, remembered standing outside the Royal Anchor at Liphook watching the prisoners from the Battle of Waterloo. It was he who climbed on the roof of the Church when it caught fire in 1836, trying to put out the flames. The next builder was Mr Chuck, undertaker and for very many years Churchwarden. He was followed by the Collings family, and now (1992) Robert Moodie has his upholstery workshop there.
[Historical note: The house and buildings underwent considerable sympathetic renovation during 1998] - Inn: The New Inn, Sleaford. Victorian front with old timber-framed wing to the rear. 2 storeys. Limewashed brick with stone and plaster infilling. Hipped tiled roof. Half-glazed door with flat projecting hood.
[Ref 32] Three odd casements. Central square chimney recently (1975) rebuilt.
[Historical note: Although still in Headley civil parish, the New Inn was moved (along with Trottsford Farm) into Kingsley ecclesiastical parish by the church commissioners in 1927 when Guildford diocese was created – redeveloped 2002] - Farmhouse & Barn: Trottsford Farm, Picketts Hill. 2 storeys. Stone and brick structure. Hipped tiled roof. Square-paned casement windows. Barn at right angles to house, now joined to main farmhouse, has modern metal-framed windows. A large cellar with interesting niches in the walls. In 1547 this was church property.
[Ref 71] C16. A solid, square farmhouse with large central chimney stack and an end stack. Footpath No.3, which passes through the farm drive, leads from the parish boundary right across Headley Park to Linsted Farm (and from there, up to the Church), and is known as Church Path.
[Historical note: Although still in Headley civil parish, Trottsford Farm was moved into Kingsley ecclesiastical parish by the church commissioners in 1927 when Guildford diocese was created] - Farmbuilding: Trottsford Farm. Large, solid, stone barn, partly weatherboarded at one end. Dated 1815 possibly after a major repair or addition.
[Ref 72] 20 metres south of Trottsford Farmhouse. Still in use but needing repair (1975). Huge beams inside. Outside the date 1815 appears–perhaps a major repair or addition? - Building: Corn Mill Cottage, Standford. Renovated mill and attached cottage now forming one dwelling. Mill of coursed stone with short half-hipped ridge tiled roof. Cottage of random stone, with weatherboarded store/garage at end towards road.
[Ref 36] Old Corn Mill, Standford. Previously listed as Corn Mill Cottage. The subject of an article in the Haslemere Herald a few years ago. - Cottage: Sunnyside, Tulls Lane, Standford. 2 storeys. Stone and brick structure. Tiled roof. Wood framed lattice windows.
[Ref 75] This group of buildings in Tulls Lane (Refs 74, 75, 76) seems to be closely connected. The Warren family surmise that they may have been a farm (Ref 74), a barn (Ref 75) and tied cottages (Ref 76). Said to be built of Bargate stone, which was quarried from a pit higher up Tulls Lane (see Ref 60). The beams are considered to be worth more than the cottages put together! - Cottage: Standford Cottage, Tulls Lane. 2 storeys with single storey extension. Painted stone structure. Tiled roof. Off-centre double chimney.
[Ref 74] Formerly old post office and corner shop. - Cottages (4): Gravel Cottages, Tulls Lane, Standford. 2 storeys. Stone and brick structure. Half-hipped old tiled roof. Central chimney.
[Ref 76–see Ref 75 for further information] Nos. 1 & 2, No.3 (Meadow Cottage), No.4 and store. - House: Eveley, Standford. 2 storeys. Stone structure. Gabled tiled roof. Dormer window. 2-storey extension. Surrounded by beautiful landscaped gardens, through which flows the River Wey.
[Ref 77] Once known as The Limes. The name Eveley was brought from the large house now known as Standford Grange when the owner moved into the smaller property. A charming dwelling of varying additions. - Farmhouse: The Old Farmhouse, Standford. Formerly Standford Farm. Timber-framed structure. Gable to right and left with part pentice ridge in centre containing modern dormer and a half dormer. Old tiled roof. Modern red brick extension.
[Ref 37] Formerly Standford Farm, then Greensleeves. Rambling old timber-framed farmhouse standing at right angles to road. Recent addition (1975) separate building of double garage with flat roof above. Swimming pool. Addition built in modern materials with a red brick boundary wall as an extension to the old stone one. - Farm Buildings: The Old Farmhouse, Standford. Two weatherboarded barns, forming an attractive group with farmhouse and nearby house (Eveley).
[Ref 38] To south of Old Farmhouse. - Farmhouse: Hatch Farm, Tulls Lane, Standford. 2 storeys. Stone structure with some tile hanging and exposed timbers, believed to be old ships timber brought from Portsmouth when Pepys was modernising the Navy (but see note at Ref 9). Timber roof. Sash and square-paned casement windows. C19 wing. A tributary of the River Wey flows through the cellar.
[Ref 73] A working farmhouse, a hotch-potch of styles from C16? To C19. Some tile-hanging, and exposed timbers at back said to have been brought from Portsmouth… L-shaped with the addition of an extra wing about 100 years ago. Square-paned casement windows of several different shapes and sizes, and sash windows added later. A tributary of the Wey flows through the cellar, and trout can be caught there! Owned by the Warren family since 1821. They owned the local paper mills, and there is a framed copy of their bill-head hanging in the farmhouse. This family also built the Methodist Church at Standford Hill more than 100 years ago, and are still its leading supporters. - Cottage: Nos. 1 and 2, Peters or Petars Barn, Frensham Lane. Restored and now one dwelling. 2 storeys. Timber-framed with roughly coursed stone infilling. Ridge tiled roof with half pentice addition to left. Square lattice windows. Old chimney with plain coupled stacks. Mud and wattle structure visible internally.
[Ref 61] Peters Barn, formerly included as Nos. 1 & 2. Restored cottages, now one dwelling. Exposed timber work including some stout curved bracing. Mud and wattle structure visible internally that formed part of old roof. I consider that the name of this property should be spelt PETAR since the Misses Petar owned all the land round here at the end of the 19th century.
Note added from occupants 2009: The house was originally a hall house of two bays, plus a smoke bay, built around 1550. Later in the same century it was extended, with back-to-back fireplaces built where the smoke bay had been. In the original part, the floor to the first floor was possibly inserted later, maybe at the same time as the extension, the hall having originally been open to the roof. Of course, over the years many further changes have been made, and it may now be impossible to determine, for example, where the original staircase was - the present one being mid-20th century. - Cottage: No. 3, Peters or Petars Barn Cottage, Frensham Lane. 2 storeys. Timber-framed with brick, stone and plaster infilling. Thatched roof. Modern lattice casements and centre boarded door. Possibly C16.
[Ref 18] Practically rebuilt recently (1975) after years of neglect. Not previously thatched, but tiled. First floor has half dormer and small casement to right. Thatched roof brought down as pentice to left.
[Now renamed Winters Barn Cottage – 1999] - Cottages (3): Headley Park. Unusual group; one a converted oast house and one built in the C19. The oldest cottage has blocked up church windows on two walls. Traditionally believed to be private chapel of the original Headley Park House, or it could be merely a Victorian Gothic folly.
[Ref 70] Oral tradition has it that this was the private chapel of the original Headley Park House [Heath House?] which stood behind the cedar trees beyond the cottage gardens–but the Rev Mr Huband, a connection by marriage to the MacAndrew family, was sure that it was only a Victorian folly and was not genuine. This little settlement in the heart of Headley Park at one time also had a mill and a laundry, but the laundry was burnt down and a new bungalow erected in its place. A large barn in a poor state of repair remains (1975) - Farmhouse C16/17: Huntingford Farm, Frensham Lane. 2 storeys. Cream washed brick and coursed stone, with exposed light timberwork on first floor. A modern cement-tiled roof. Replaces the original thatch which was destroyed by fire in 1958. Plain square-paned wooden casement windows. [Ref 19]
[Not to be confused with Huntingford Cottage (Ref 3) which is nearer Mellow Farm] - Farmhouse: Linstead Farm, Frensham Lane. 2 storeys. L-shaped with wide stone plinth. Exposed timber framing with brick infilling on ground floor, fish scale tile hanging above. Old tiled roof.
[Ref 20] Old tiled roof brought down as pentice at side over weatherboarding and stone. A picturesque restored small farmstead.
[Note: Usual spelling is Linsted, though both forms are used] - Farm Building: Tulls, formerly Chase Farm, Tulls Lane. Old stone barn with long ridge tiled roof brought down as continuation pentice in front towards farmyard.
[Ref 40] To north of Tulls, formerly included as barn north of Chase Farm. See Ref 39. - Farm Buildings: Picketts Hill Farm. Large stone built barn with massive internal timbers. Date 'June ye 20th 1769', beautifully carved on one of the beams. Stone built wagon shed with stout supporting beams.
[Ref 69] The large barn is a fine structure in need of repair (1975). It has massive timbers inside, and on one beam is carved a date: JUNE YE 20th 1769. This is so beautifully done that it appeared likely that it was the work of a professional. See Ref 68.
[Note: Barn later restored, and in 1999 planning permission sought for conversion to a dwelling] - Farmhouse: Mellow Farm, Heath Hill near Dockenfield. 2 storeys. Exposed timber framing with red brick infilling and wide stone base on ground floor. First floor slightly over-hung. Ridge tiled roof, hipped to left. Casement windows.
[Ref 4] Old farmhouse carefully restored. Modern panelled door in moulded frame up flight of steps. Plain chimney with square coupled stacks recently rebuilt (1975). Was called Huntingford Farm, then Lower House Farm–name finally changed to avoid confusion with Lower House Farm in Lindford (Joyce Stevens, 1994) - Farm Building: Mellow Farm. Old weatherboarded barn at right angles to farmhouse, with steep hipped tiled roof..
[Ref 23] Barn 3 metres east of Mellow Farm (and also said to be south of the house). - Cottage: Suters, High Street. 2 storeys. Random stone on ground floor, tile-hung above. Long ridge tiled roof, hipped at each end. Exposed timber-framing on side gable (towards churchyard). Sash and casement windows. Wattle and daub walls revealed during alterations. Originally a row of three cottages. Ref: Highways and Byways in Hampshire (pencil sketch), 1908, (Read), p.394.
[Ref 7] Previous to 1971 called The Old House and Gowrie. Mediaeval open hall house C14? C16. Listed building Grade II*. Formerly 3, then 2, now 1 dwelling since November 1974. 2 odd cottage doors, one half-glazed, one lattice. The house was bought by my great-grandfather, William Suter, a paper-maker, in 1871.
[From To the Ar and Back] Bought in 1871 by William Suter, senior, a paper-maker from Standford. Although it has an eighteenth century facade, it was originally a jettied Wealden Hall-house, like Bay Tree farmhouse at the Singleton Open Air Museum. The north end, which can be seen from the Churchyard, clearly shows its sixteenth century construction. Dendro-chronology has dated the timber-framing as 1520, which coincides rather neatly with a document stating that the Rector, John Fyshe, granted his Churchwardens a piece of land on the condition that they built a new house for use of the Church for recreation, on the payment of 5s.6d per annum. So was this an early Church Centre? Or perhaps it was a Chaplain's house, since it agrees in dimensions with an order given by William de Wykeham to the Prior of Merton that such a house should consist of a hall with a chamber parted off at either end. Each house was to be 40ft in length and 18ft in width. One thing is certain; this house has undergone many changes, for when hard times came to the community, it was divided into two 'tenements', as they are called in the deeds, and then into three until well into the middle of this century. Now it is one dwelling again, and in the course of restoration many of the original features of the early Wealden have been revealed. The beams are massive, there are two huge open fireplaces, and a wall painting has been discovered, consisting of a frieze of curled acanthus leaves, and a repeat interlace design of red briar roses and buds. Each open flower bears superimposed upon it a bird in heraldic stance with half open wings and one raised claw. - Building: The Stores, High Street. Rambling stone structure with barns incorporated. Modernised and used as a shop. Owned by the Rogers family from 1870-1957. [Ref 90]
[From To the Ar and Back] Owned by Thomas Baker, and occupied by John Lickfold when he moved into the village in 1827. The latter gave an eye-witness account of the 1830 riot to Mr Laverty some 40 years later, and was the father of Walter, who farmed Headley Mill Farm as a tenant. Walter's sons, Fred and Jack, ran a cycle shop at what is now the Mill Office, and then moved to Arford, and finally to the Garage in Crabtree Lane now known as Tonard's. In 1833 the shop was sold to Thomas Chalcraft, who left it to his wife Mary in 1860, and on her death it passed to their son, Thomas Chalcraft, and James Eames. Thomas left to work as a carpenter in Battersea, and James Eames moved to Kingsley. In 1865 it was sold by auction in the Holly Bush to William Suter, senior, a paper-maker. He let the shop to William Rogers of Farnham, who finally bought it from him in 1895. Formerly Headley Stores, it is still thought of by old residents as Rogers' Shop – how confusing this will be for future historians! (this reference is to Roger Butcher now running the shop by the church gate). Mr Rogers lived in the house next door which he called The Laburnums (now The Bakehouse), and he had six children ranging in age from nine to twenty. In the 1891 census he is recorded as a master baker and grocer. He used to publish a threepenny booklet full of local information, called the Headley and Kingsley Almanac and Directory, which also advertised all his wares: boots and shoes, animal feeds and Spratts dog food, paraffin and all kinds of oil lamp supplies, garden seeds, hardware and ironmongery, and an off-licence selling the products of three local breweries. The store prospered for many years, and his two remaining children, Len and Beattie, ran it until she died. Then it began to go downhill, but he carried on alone, living in one room in cold and discomfort. Finally, after the War, being persuaded to sell though much against his will, he took out his ancient gun and killed himself. He left his fortune (£42,000) to the one niece who had shown some concern for him, but he had not signed his Will, nor had it witnessed, so it was shared among all his next-of-kin, most of whom lived in Australia, with the result that no-one received very much. The new proprietor, Biddy Bargrave-Deane, built up a very flourishing business, noted over a wide area for its delicatessen, and she was followed by an equally successful couple, John and Joan Lewis. But after a series of owners it eventually failed, and became a wholesale store and offices.
[Note: This building is now known (rather confusingly) as Crabtree House] - Building: Tithe Barn. Converted into house. Thick stone walls with heavy interior beams. Long steeply pitched ridge tiled roof, hipped at each end. Initials and date on south end of east wall – 'W.M. 1680 and S./H.S. 1812'. Fine example of farm building converted into residential use.
[Ref 56] A splendid example of a Tithe Barn in what was formerly the yard attached to the rectory. Extremely long and steeply pitched ridge tiled roof. What was the entrance for wagons is now a huge picture window. South end stable block converted into kitchen and bedrooms; main portion a lofty spacious living/dining room with the natural stone walls and wooden beams unspoiled. Sold by the Church in 1966 to raise money to modernise the Rectory for a new rector. Until then, it had been used (since the end of WW2) by the Ellis brothers of Headley Mill for storage and the sprouting of potatoes for market gardening.
[From To the Ar and Back] Originally used to store the tenth of their produce that the farmers had to pay to the Rector as part of his stipend. When payment in kind was commuted to money the barn was used for a variety of storage until after World War II. Then John and Peter Ellis, on their return from active service, rented it to bring on early potatoes for their market-gardening venture on all the Glebe fields. They installed electricity for heating and lighting, and employed many local people, for the work was very labour intensive. This stage in the life of the old barn probably saved it from collapse, for the huge roof was in a very bad state and the Church could not afford the money for the necessary repairs, so the income from letting the building was very useful. When Canon Tudor Jones retired in 1965, after 31 years as Rector, the barn and kitchen garden behind it were sold to raise money for the modernisation of the Rectory. The purchaser was Godfrey Bird, an architect, who converted the barn into a most attractive dwelling. Fortunately he kept a detailed diary of all the problems involved in the conversion, together with before and after photographs, which he passed on to the present owners four years later when they bought the property from him. There is a stone let into the wall over what was the stable door, with the date 1680 and the letters S.W.M. These are thought to be the initials of William and Mary Sympson. He was Rector from 1673 to 1695. - Farm Buildings: Curtis Farm. Picturesque group including two large stone barns and range of outhouses and stabling.
[Ref 17] Barns and farm buildings to south of Curtis Farm. See Ref 16. - Cottage: Yeomans Cottage. Stone structure. Ridge tiled roof, half-hipped at each end. Modern porch and cement rendered addition at back. May once have been a granary. See also Ref 10.
[Ref 58] Owner thinks this may have been a granary because of signs of a door once existing on the first floor. Mr H Blanchard (aged about 80 in 1975) says his father went to school in this building. As the village school was only a few yards away and was a church school, can this perhaps have been a non-conformist opposition, or a Dame School, or was the village school overcrowded?
[Note: Mrs WE Belcher wrote in 1925 "Dissenting services were at one time held in the barn at Crabtree, and also a dame school, the mistress being Mrs Bone, wife of a veterinary surgeon at Birdsnest."] - Cottage: Holme School House, Headley Green. 2 storeys. Stone structure. Lattice windows. Tiled roof. Large extension. Part of bequest to be used to benefit the children of the parish.
[Ref 79] This is a very good example of 'garnetting' or 'galletting' as described by Gilbert White of Selborne. He says that the 'sand stone' or 'forest stone' came from Weavers Down and is imperishable. Part of Dr Holme's bequest (in 1755) to the village. The Trustees now (1976) wish to dispose of it, since the capital would be more use to them than the small rent it has been bringing in. The Parish Council would very much like to obtain this property because of its central position in the village, and are at the moment investigating the possibility. The danger lies in the fact that if the Education Committee buys it to add to the school, it might in the future be demolished when a new school is built.
[From To the Ar and Back] Given to the parish in 1755 by the Rector, Dr George Holme, "for teaching and instructing twelve poor children of either sex in reading, writing and arithmetic". Girls were also taught sewing and knitting. Any number could attend the school, but only twelve could benefit from the Charity; the rest had to pay: Labourers 2d, Journeymen 3d, Tradesmen 4d, Farmers 9d per week, with a reduction for each additional child. The house for the Master has stone walls with the characteristic galleting, and a cat-slide roof at the back. There is a sixteenth century fireplace and seventeenth century chimney breast and beams, indicating that it was partly rebuilt. The last Headmaster to live there was Mr Beck, who retired in 1923, and after that it was the home of the village policeman for several years, then let to a succession of tenants. It is now a private house. The school itself was enlarged in 1872 and 1893, but became redundant in 1990, and is for sale (1992) with planning permission to convert into as many as three dwellings. But the name of Dr Holme, Rector for forty-seven years, has been transferred to the present village school at Openfields.
[Note: The school buildings are now (1999) sympathetically restored and used as a salesroom and workshop for Victorian Dreams bedheads.] - House: The Square House, Headley Green. 2 storeys. Stone structure. Slate roof. Sash windows. Possibly early C18.
[Ref 81] (In 1976) No repairs of any kind for 30 years.
[Note: Changed hands in 1993, and since then has been sympathetically restored.] - Farmhouse: Longcross Farm, Longcross Hill. Part 2 storeys, part single storey and dormers. Limewashed stonework with exposed timber framing. Old tiled roof. Lattice windows.
[Ref 15] Picturesque restored farmhouse. A long, low irregular shaped building with old tiled roof and centre gable brought down as pentice at side and in front over porch. At one time 3 cottages. Present owners claim it is haunted by a friendly spirit.
[From To the Ar and Back] A lovely, timber-framed sixteenth century building, with two gabled dormers, ornamental barge boards, and a cat-slide roof. Sixty years ago it was a dairy farm, belonging to the Gamblen family who owned all the houses and land on this side of the road from Ivy Bank to here. It has changed hands frequently during the past few years (1992), and is reputedly haunted by a very benevolent spirit.
One of many properties used to billet Canadian servicemen during WW2—read the story of the beer in the well! - House: Arford House. 2 storeys. Coursed square stone blocks, creamwashed. Slate roof. Casement windows with flat lintels and 'Gothic' tracery. Stable block converted into dwelling.
[Ref 63] Stables and various outhouses round a courtyard. A complex of buildings, now two dwellings. The main house is square. Conservatory across south face. In the late 19th century, Brett Harte was a visitor and named the footpath from Arford to Longcross Hill 'The Brae'. The figurehead of the 'Chesapeake', which was captured by the 'Shannon', was formerly on a summer house at the top of the garden—it was a bird, perhaps an eagle, and a portion of it was said to be part of a lamp bracket in the house. When the 'Chesapeake' was broken up, the figurehead was bought by Mr Ewsters, who was then building (or living in) Arford House. Mr Henry Knight, who was born 27th Nov 1805, remembered it, and told the then rector, Mr Laverty (1872–1928).
[From To the Ar and Back Bronte Cottage on Barley Mow Hill with his wife, the talented writer and dramatist, and his two daughters Vera and Esmé, who became well-known actresses. In 1906 Miss Dorothy married Major Richard Hooper and for well over forty years they both took an active interest in the life of the village. Her sister married Mr Woodbine Hinchliff of Pentlow, who designed the War Memorial.
Arford Lodge:– Now a separate dwelling, this was once the stable and carriage block of the main house. It is L-shaped and lower than the house, so there are two storeys on the north and south sides, but three on the long east side standing on the valley floor. The Nursery wing was on the top floor, cellars were built against the hillside; the nineteenth century porch partially masks the wide cambered arch to the carriage doorway.
In Arford House garden, opposite the Village Hall, is an unusual cypress tree. It is one of the few deciduous conifers, turning a rich copper colour in Autumn, and in Spring is a bright, fresh green. - Farm Building: Tignals, Saunders Green. Small weatherboarded barn with short half-hipped ridge tiled roof.[Ref 31] See also Ref 30.
- Cottage: Yew Tree Cottage, Arford Common. Long low single storey stone structure. Slate roof.
[Ref 91] Mrs Hudson of 12 Openfields told me that it belonged to her family who were broomsquires. Brooms were taken to market and sold at three shillings per dozen. He was Edward Coombes, and with his wife Harriet and children, went to live in the cottage in July 1873. - Farmhouse: Moore House Farm, Frensham Lane. 2 storeys and attic gable window. Timber-framed with red brick nogging. Two fine projecting chimneys at side, of red brick with diamond pattern picked out in blue brick. Coupled stacks. Casement windows. Wing to right of recent date. Now three dwellings.
[Ref 24] Restored. Old gable to left has stout timber framing and red brick nogging; some modern herring-bone nogging. In the garden in front is an old well with tiled hood. In all, three dwellings, partly in farm outbuildings. All renovated and especially well cared for.
[Note: In 2005, all water still pumped from a well] - Farmhouse: Wishanger Oasts, Frensham Lane. Coursed stone structure. Barn incorporated into house. Some sash windows, some modern.
[Ref 85] Very much restored farmhouse, formerly Stream Farm. - Cottage: Chatterton Lodge, Fullers Vale. 2 storeys. Stone and brick structure. Tiled roof. Extension to right. Believed to have been a forester's lodge. [Dated 1846 on the building with the '4' shown reversed]
[Ref 78] Marked and named on the Ordnance map. - Cottage: The Old Cottage, Churt Road, Hearn. Restored. Timber-framed with red brick infilling on ground floor, tile-hung above. Two large half dormers with eaves, waved over ridge tiled roof. Square-paned wooden casement windows.
[Ref 29] Old centre ridge stack. Door previously at centre now moved to north end. - Farm Buildings: Lower Hearn, Churt Road. Picturesque group, converted and restored. Barn to south, random stone with weatherboarding above. Modern mullioned and transformed windows. Half-hipped tiled roof. North barn forms two dwellings with modern dormers and modern metal casements below. Ridge tiled roof.
[Ref 28] Picturesque range of converted farm buildings, L-shaped and standing at corner of road junction. - Farmhouse: Lower Hearn, Churt Road. Restored structure, faced with white plaster. 2 storeys. Hipped tiled roof. Slightly projecting flanking wings. Modern metal casement windows. Small timbered porch. [Ref 27]
- House: Field House, Bacon Lane. One wing timber-framed with limewashed brick and stone infilling. Single storey and modern hipped dormers. Lattice casements. Old tiled roof. Believed C17. New wing has mock timberwork and first floor overhang.
[Ref 25] Roughly L-shaped, one wing being genuine old timber-framed structure. - Farmhouse: Plaster Hill Farm, Churt Road. 2 storeys. Timber-framed, including closely-spaced vertical strutting, with white plaster infilling. Hipped tiled roof. Modern lattice casements. Barns to north, south and west form square with farmhouse. Some parts of the farm allegedly date from 1580. [The first marriage recorded in Headley church registers is in 1539 for Robert Hardyng of 'Playstow hill']
[Ref 26] Projecting tiled porch to right. - Cottage: Laurel Cottage, Hammer Lane. Single storey stone structure. Old tiled roof. One of the few remaining squatters cottages, built of local materials by members of a family who, if they had a fire burning in the hearth within 24 hours, could claim 'squatters rights' over the piece of land. Now considerably modernised.
[Ref 86] The Parish Council attempted to prevent the drastic alterations that have taken place, but a demolition order was made on the cottage at the request of the owners, and the District Council sent the notice to Grayshott Parish Council instead of Headley (it is close to the parish boundary). - Cottage: Holly Cottage, Hammer Lane. Single storey stone structure. Old tiled roof. Lattice windows. Now modernised.
[Ref 92] See remarks on Ref 86 above. - Building: Barford Mill, Barford, near Churt. Old flock mill and mill house converted into attractive house. Original mill, possibly C17, timber framed with random stone infilling. Lattice casement windows.
Mill House C18. 2 storeys. Colourwashed brick walls. Long ridge tiled roof.
Ref: 1. White's History & Directory of Hampshire, 1859; 2. P.H.F.C., Vol 18 (Shorters "Paper Mills in Hampshire"); 3. Headley Booklet (Tudor Jones, 1966).
[Ref 5] L-shaped, the original mill building at right angles. Exposed light timber framing. Lattice casements in oak frames. End gable has modern chimney with coupled 'Tudor' stacks in red brick. Mill house: 4 modern casements, vertically panelled oak door. This is the more southerly of the two remaining mills at Barford (there used to be three). [I think there is some confusion here - the 'more southerley of the two remaining mills' at Barford is an old corn mill first mentioned in the pipe rolls of 1264 – JOS]. - Millhouse: Old Mill, Barford, near Churt. 3 storeys. Brick walls with galleting between bricks. Ridge tiled roof, with stacks each end. Sash windows under segmental lintels. Elaborate pedimented porch.
[Ref 55] Mill buildings destroyed, but mill house remains. Galletting between bricks. Modern greenhouse type structure to left. - Building: Bulls Hollow, Picketts Hill. Remains of lime kiln. Brick and stone structure. Believed to be the only one left in the parish. SU 820 383
[Ref 65] Remnants of other lime kilns can be found: a) at the top of Mill Lane; b) behind Headley Mill; c) at Hollywater crossroads; d) at the top of Tulls Lane; e) halfway between the Old Corn Mill and Standford farm; f) along Fullers Vale on the south side. For the most part the soil here is acid and needed lime–presumably the chalk came from Butser Hill? - Bridge: Huntingford Bridge. Plain stone structure consisting of two round arches and parapet, crossing the River Wey northwest of Huntingford Cottage.
[Ref 22] 18th century. - Bridge: Northwest of Linsted Farm. Mediaeval packhorse bridge, consisting of a single stone arch. Parapets removed and replaced with decorative wrought iron railings of recent origin. Stage coaches once crossed this bridge on the way through Headley Wood to the Toll Gate opposite the New Inn at Sleaford.
[Ref 21] This road has been closed to the public since Bridleway 47 was diverted to give the owner more privacy. - Aqueduct: River Wey, Headley Park. Brick and stone structure possibly C17 or C18. Part of a complex system which encompasses similar aqueducts in surrounding parishes. Thought either to serve water meadows or possibly used in conjunction with iron works in this area.
[Ref 66] I have been advised that this is not a packhorse bridge as some people think, but part of an irrigation system for water-meadows. In the early 19th century the meadows were flooded to a depth of perhaps only an inch by a system of ditches, hatches and aqueducts like this one. Mr John Ellis of Headley Mill, who gave me this information, described the system in his own water meadows, and explained that several crops of grass in one season were obtained by this method. Mrs P Barnard of Picketts Hill Farm told me that old country people used to call these 'watering horses'! - Memorial: Adjacent All Saints Church. War Memorial (1914-19). Two pillars linked by concave wall, surmounted by a cross. "To the eternal honour of Headley’s gallant dead 1914–1919 – Six hundred and nineteen also served" Contains three bronze tablets bearing ninety-six names:–
C W Adams / J H Allden / A T Allen / W J Amor / W P Berry / H Betteridge / H Blackman / S Blake / E K Budd / H Budd / W Budd / G W Bullock / J Caine / W J Caine / B Cannon / H E Chandler / W A Chisnall / G Christie / W Cole / H Coombes / C Curtis / G Dalton / H R Denney / T J Denyer / W Dowler / F Duke / C Earl / J Earl / T Earl / F G Elkins / F Fisher / F E Fullick / A A Gamblen / A H Gardiner / W Gardiner / W Gates / F Glaysher / S Glaysher / W H Godsmark / H E Goodyear / S Gordon / H E Hack / E S J Harris / Viscount Hawarden / E Hayter / H Hurlock / W J Hurlock / F C Kemball / F Kemp / A Kent / A Larby / A Mackenzie / M Mackenzie / R Mahoney / A C Marshall / W G Marshall / G Mason / J Matthews / C A W McAndrew / F Mileham / C J Moss / E T Munday / A T Munden / H Newland / W J North / G V Osborne / J P Phillimore / J L Platt / L V Quennell / R Ramsden / E J Read / A W Reid / A H Rogers / H E Rogers / W D Rustell / J M E Shepherd / W Shrubb / E A Silvester / F Stacey / G Stacey / E Stokes-Roberts / P L Sulman / J S Swan / G Symons / J Ticknor / A Trigg / W J Tuckey / C A Turner / B J Viney / P G Viney / J White / F H Whiting / S H Wilson / A C Windibank / R J Wishart / A Woodger—[missing, died as a PoW] W Holdaway
[Ref 98] Designed by Woodbine Hinchliff Esq of Pentlow and unveiled by Maj Gen WV Brownlow CB of Eveley (now Standford Grange) on 4th July 1920.
Names of those lost in the 1939–1945 conflict were added to the memorial in 1995:–
L W Able / T R Alston / J E Atkins / D J Barlow / C E Blanks / W T Boyce / A S Briggs / R W H Carter / A E Caswell / L W Chandler / C V Crowther-Smith / A E Dopson / A G Dorrington / P L Dudgeon / A Dunford / S W Fisher / F A C Fullick / B R Fyfield / R W Gale / J A Hall / R L Horniblow / W H James / C W J Johnson / R W Johnstone / J M Knowles / J A McCaughan / C P Mortimer / P Murphy / A J Norman / W T Norris / T P R O’Brien / W W Parkin / J R Phillips / G E Preston / W R Rickards / J R M Shepherd / H C Simms / R P W Stevens / F J Stewart / A E W Thomas / E H C Tubb / J H Tucker / H C P Turney / W Wilkinson / H G Williams / A G B Wilson / J E G Woodward / P W Wrighting - Gravestone: All Saints Churchyard. Designed by sculptor J. Reid in memory of Alida, Lady Brittain and Sir Harry Brittain, founder of The Pilgrims:–
[Ref 101] Designed by an eminent Scottish sculptor, Mr John Reid [tall headstone–seated figure with lyre] In treasured memory of / Alida, Lady Brittain, DBE / dearly loved wife of Sir Harry Brittain / June 12th 1885–January 5th 1943 / and of / Sir Harry Brittain, KBE, CMG, DL, LLD / December 24th 1873–July 9th 1974 / in his 101st year / Their friends were world wide [at foot is a bird bath decorated in Greek style] - Memorial Book: All Saints Church. Desk made of Hampshire oak containing book, bound in blue leather, resting on blue Italian velvet. Dedicated to forty-eight men who died in the Second World War.
[Ref 99] The desk was made of Hampshire oak by H Barnsley of Froxfield, the distinguished craftsman who made a presentation casket for King George VI and special chairs for Westminster Abbey. The book is exquisitely scribed by Graily Hewitt of Liss and illuminated by Ida Henstock of Petersfield. Each page is devoted to one man and is displayed twice a year. - Window: All Saints Church. Magnificent C13 stained glass, representing the martyrdom of a saint. Bears marked resemblance to the world-famous glass in Chartres Cathedral. Removed for safe keeping during the Second World War and now protected by plate glass.
[Ref 96] Dating from about 1260. Ref: PM Johnston FSA, 1935. - Village Pound (Site): Corner of Crabtree Gardens, Liphook Road. Two sides of walls remain. On them is a plaque, which reads: 'This wall was part of the Headley Village Pound, erected probably in the C17 and demolished in 1929'.
[Ref 87] John Matthews (1790–1875) who lived at 'the old shop at Hilland' was the last Pound Keeper. - Sheepwash: Bacon Lane, Frensham. By the parish boundary at Frensham Pond (1975). Wall by roadside intact, and the ramp over which animals scrambled can still be traced. SU 840 402 [Ref 64]
[No longer in Headley parish, or even in Hampshire, since the boundary with Surrey/Frensham was moved in 1991] - Lychgate: All Saints Church. Oak gate with roof, erected to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II and dedicated in 1954.
[Ref 100] Work was designed and carried out entirely by Headley men, among whom were Messrs RL Robinson, EE Nash, Ted Warner, KJ O'Brien, J Wakeford, and H Fyfield. Overall supervision by Mr CK Johnson-Burt, the designer of Mulberry Harbour in 1944. Inscribed on the arch above the gate on entering are the words: "Enter into His gate with Thanksgiving," and on leaving, "Go forth into the world in peace." A plaque on the wall reads: "This gate built by Headley men to commemorate the Coronation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, 2 June 1953." - Building: Standford Mill. Present dwelling modern, but built of old materials. Original mill burnt down in C19. Turned 'shoddy' into paper, and traditionally believed to have been used by Portals of Laverstoke for Bank of England notes. Ref: It Happened in Hampshire, (Beddington and Christy), p.75.
[Ref 95] The present beautiful dwelling, although built of old materials, is completely modern. The original mill was run by Messrs Warren, papermakers.
Following entries missing from published Hampshire Treasures
- Headley Park. Very large mansion, now a Hotel
[Ref 83] Probably the largest house in the parish. Formerly the home of the Lords of the Manor of Broxhead. Built on the site of the stables when the original house, lower down in the park (see Ref 70) was burnt down.
Sir Robert Wright lived here at the turn of the century, then the McAndrew family, then it became a private school, then a Lithuanian Club., now a Hotel. - The Toll House, Sleaford—demolished
[Ref 89] This tiny one storey building stood on the edge of the A325 opposite the New Inn, Sleaford. It was overshadowed by a large, ugly and neglected corrugated iron building, used as a house and at one time a wayside café. When the County Council demolished the latter after a fire, they bulldozed our Toll House 'for road widening' which has not yet been done (1975).
[Road widening now seems to be happening–1999] - Ludshott Court, High Street—demolished
[From To the Ar and Back] Formerly known as Abbeydore, it was built by the two daughters of the Rev. W.H. Laverty in 1926, in anticipation of the time he would retire. They let it for two years, but he died on 27th December 1928 after only a few days' illness. He had prepared and signed the December Parish Magazine and so completed 56 years of faithful service in Headley. His daughters with their mother moved into the new house, and after their deaths it remained a private house until a few years ago when it was bought by the owners of Ludshott Manor. They added an extension twice the size of the original, turned it into a Nursing Home and gave it its present name. [Closed in 1999, and demolished in September 2000 for redevelopment] - Belmont House, High Street.
[From To the Ar and Back] In his working notebook for 1888, The Rev W.H.Laverty (Rector 1872-1928) recorded, "now being built for us on 1/4d Field, by George and Arthur King, their bricklayer Fred Gauntlett." The house was for his wife's parents, Mr and Mrs de la Motte, but in the 1891 census it is registered as unoccupied. It was then bought by the War Department for œ2,500 on 31st July 1903 from Robert Young, and the first Brigade Major to live there was a Fitzclarence, grandson of William IV. His wife was a Churchill, first cousin to the Duke of Marlborough, and he had a coachman named Morse! He was followed by Major Butler, and Joseph Kemp and his wife were man-servant and maid to the family, living presumably in Belmont Cottage (1906-7). During the First World War, Captain Thackeray and his wife and son, Reg, lived at Belmont when he was Staff Officer Musketry, first at Bordon, later for the whole Aldershot Command. He had come from South Africa, where his uncle, Sir Thomas Scanliss, was Prime Minister of Cape Colony, and the famous eighteenth century hunter, Henry Hartley, was his grandfather. Capt Thackeray served in the British South African Police during the Boer War, and was at the relief of Mafeking. After World War II he retired to Wodehouse (in Liphook Road), and ever since then his family has been active in church and village life, the gift of the Pavilion on the playing fields being only one of their many generous acts. One of the last military occupants of the house was Lt.Col Derek Richardson, who came here in the late sixties and then settled down in Headley on leaving the army. It has been a private house since it was sold to the Alexanders in 1978, but one of the four WD boundary stones marked on old maps is still standing in the bank to the right of the gate. - The Old Post Office, Longcross Hill.
[From To the Ar and Back] Down the hill, on the left, this was run for many years by Mr William Gamblen, grand old man of Headley. Besides being Postmaster, he was Parish Clerk, Sexton, Verger and a member of the Choir for more than 60 years. There is a memorial tablet on the wall above his seat in the choir stalls. After he died his daughter, Mrs Carter, carried on the business. Her husband was killed in the first War and her elder son went down in the Royal Oak in the second. After she died, the Post Office was moved to the High Street, and this building became a hairdresser's in 1962. - Chapel Howe, Longcross Hill.
[From To the Ar and Back] The site of the former Congregational Chapel, which was very active at the end of the last century and into the first four decades of this. An extension to the original Chapel provided a recreation room with a billiard table, and a warm welcome was given to soldiers far from home and family. The room was also used occasionally as an extra class-room when medical inspections were held at the School, and more space was needed. Unfortunately it became increasingly difficult to find enough money to pay the resident Minister and to keep the Manse and Chapel buildings in good repair, so they were sold. For some time the Chapel was used as his waiting-room by the local Doctor, but when he retired the Chapel was demolished. - Longcross House, Longcross Hill.
[From To the Ar and Back] Before World War II, this was a very shabby building, the first floor and roof of corrugated iron. On the western gable end the words 'Headley Restaurant' were faintly discernible. Then for a short time the first floor was the meeting room of the Headley Working Men's Club. The ground floor room on the roadside was a greengrocer's shop, run by Sid Tidey and his sister, Mrs Radford. Their family formerly owned the bakehouse near The Crown. Since conversion to a private house it has changed hands frequently. - The Fish Shop, Arford.
[From To the Ar and Back] On the opposite side of the road from The Crown, the white chalet-bungalow was a fish shop, much appreciated to supplement the meagre rations of the forties and fifties. Subsequently a building business was carried on here by Mr North, until it became a private house. - The Crown Inn, Arford.
[From To the Ar and Back] Possibly at one time three small cottages under one roof? The Inn has had a long and interesting history, recorded in detail on a document hanging on the wall in the bar. . - Kirklands, off Arford Road.
[From To the Ar and Back] Originally just a small cottage, this was enlarged at considerable expense in the 1880s by Mrs Windus of the publishing firm Chatto and Windus. She also owned Arford House, where her son Edward lived. A later owner, Mr Rothera, built an attractive bridge in 1921 to carry his drive across the Brae footpath, but this of course was not strong enough for the amount of traffic resulting from two more houses built after WW2 and sharing the same drive, so it was taken down, it is said by Gary Glitter, who bought the house but never lived in it. The most notable owner was Sir Harry Brittain, journalist, traveller, MP and founder of the Pilgrim's Club to foster British-American friendship. He bought the house as a weekend retreat, but moved out of London to escape the air-raids and settled in Headley with his wife, Dame Alida. They quickly became part of village life, she leading a make-do-and-mend sewing group, and he walking to the Post Office, resting on his shooting-stick to talk in a friendly way to all and sundry. He was born at midnight on Christmas Eve 1874, and he delighted in reading the lesson at morning service on Christmas Day. During the course of his long life he had done this so often that he scarcely needed to glance at the Bible, and he read for the last time in as strong a voice as ever at the age of 99 in 1973. - The Village Hall, Arford Road.
[From To the Ar and Back] A most generous gift to the community by Mr McAndrew of Headley Park. It was built in 1925, primarily so that the Headley WI, started by his wife, should have a pleasant place in which to meet; more convenient than the Carnival Hut, but also, of course, for the benefit of the whole village. The site had originally been a gravel pit and, after a few years, buttresses had to be built along the side walls. Throughout the years it has been the centre of village life, managed by Trustees representative of the organisations which use it. In 1983 it was modernised and enlarged at the cost of £55,000, with a new foyer, kitchen, toilets, cloakrooms, Library (now, sadly, closed) and an upstairs Office for the Parish Council, and the whole building was re-roofed with clay tiles. - The Holly Bush, High Street
[From To the Ar and Back] No-one knows exactly when the public house moved across to the other side of the road, but it must have been between Cobbett's visit and 1855, when a Tithe map shows it in its current location. The present very obviously Victorian building was probably added to an existing very much older one. Part of this can be seen behind the porch at the north end. There was also a blacksmith's and a turf house on this site in days gone by. Inside, the house has undergone extensive alterations; walls have been taken down between a series of small rooms, formerly the domestic offices of the landlord, and the whole has been decorated and filled with Victoriana, in keeping with the architectural style of the building. The attractive enamelled roundels of birds in the windows have aroused much interest, but are of no great age nor historical significance, in the expert opinion of the late Harold Thomson of Petersfield, a stained-glass artist who examined them in 1990. - The White House, High Street.
[From To the Ar and Back] Of all the houses in the Street, this one must surely have had the most chequered history. Originally a pretty little cottage, it was doubled in size, as you can see from the different roof levels, in the second half of the last century. It also had a wooden extension on the south end, one of the previously described shops. At the beginning of this century it was the home of Mr Richard Curtis, son of the owner of the shop opposite. Then it became an army house, a Captain's quarter. Miss Whitfield Hart was the next tenant, and she ran a private dairy business using the wooden extension. She sold out to Unigate, and the house was converted horizontally into two flats for their roundsmen. A subsequent owner completely altered the exterior, replacing the eighteenth century sash windows with modern metal casements, and removing the gabled porch. After this, the bottom floor became three small shops in one: a boutique, a baby shop, and a proprietary chemist's, with flat above. It then reverted to being a private house once again, with various tenants using just the ground-floor room at the south end for a small shop, selling ceramics, expensive stationery, and crafts of all kinds. Finally it has settled down, under the last four owners, as a private dwelling. - The Gateway Buttery, High Street.
[From To the Ar and Back] This name first came about after the Second World War, when the new owners tried to establish it as a high-class restaurant. Previously it was known as Church Gate Stores, and was a thriving concern under the Curtis family. They sold everything a village needed, including drapery, and several of their young lady assistants lived in. In common with the other shops of those days, they opened at eight in the morning and closed at seven at night, the last chore being to put up the heavy window shutters and bolt them with long iron bars. A record from Mr Laverty's visiting book in 1878 implies that part of this building at least was used as a school around 1830. He interviewed Ann Coombes (née Shrubb) who, as a girl of 6, remembered looking through the classroom window there and seeing soldiers who "came up in force" into the village after the Workhouse riot that year. She says the schoolmaster, Mr Allfield, "pulled the blinds down when we saw the soldiers." Just before the Second World War the next owner ceased trading, and so the building was commandeered and was bursting at the seams with various troops, beginning with the Pioneer Corps and ending with Canadian Tank regiments. Since then it has had many different owners, and been altered as many times.