Originally used to store the tenth of their produce that the farmers had to pay to the Rector as part of his stipend. When payment in kind was commuted to money the barn was used for a variety of storage until after World War II. Then John and Peter Ellis, on their return from active service, rented it to bring on early potatoes for their market-gardening venture on all the Glebe fields. They installed electricity for heating and lighting, and employed many local people, for the work was very labour intensive. This stage in the life of the old barn probably saved it from collapse, for the huge roof was in a very bad state and the Church could not afford the money for the necessary repairs, so the income from letting the building was very useful.
When Canon Tudor Jones retired in 1965, after 31 years as Rector, the barn and kitchen garden behind it were sold to raise money for the modernisation of the Rectory. The purchaser was Godfrey Bird, an architect, who converted the barn into a most attractive dwelling. Fortunately he kept a detailed diary of all the problems involved in the conversion, together with before and after photographs, which he passed on to the present owners four years later when they bought the property from him.
There is a stone let into the wall over what was the stable door, with the date 1680 and the letters S.W.M. These are thought to be the initials of William and Mary Sympson. He was Rector from 1673 to 1695.