Given to the parish in 1755 by the Rector, Dr George Holme, “for teaching and instructing twelve poor children of either sex in reading, writing and arithmetic”. Girls were also taught sewing and knitting. Any number could attend the school, but only twelve could benefit from the Charity; the rest had to pay: Labourers 2d, Journeymen 3d, Tradesmen 4d, Farmers 9d per week, with a reduction for each additional child. The house for the Master has stone walls with the characteristic galleting, and a cat-slide roof at the back. There is a sixteenth century fireplace and seventeenth century chimney breast and beams, indicating that it was partly rebuilt.
The link here shows a Frith view of the school in 1955.
The last Headmaster to live there was Mr Beck, who retired in 1923, and after that it was the home of the village policeman for several years, then let to a succession of tenants. It is now a private house. The school itself was enlarged in 1872 and 1893, but the building became redundant in 1990, and was converted into a workshop and salesroom for ‘Victorian Dreams’. However the name of Dr Holme, founder and Rector for forty-seven years, has been transferred to the present village school at Openfields.